Tavern at 508 Park Street- Historic Properties of Rolling Mill

Editor's Note: This is the second in our series highlighting some of the historic properties of the Rolling Mill neighborhood. The first focused on Kingsley Methodist Church.   Discover Historic Rolling Mill: Malamphy’s Saloon (508 Park Street) and The Malamphy Bottling Works 218 Williams Street The City of Cumberland and the Cumberland Economic Development Corporation, an instrumentality of City government, plan to demolish portions of the historic Rolling Mill neighborhood to build incompatible and economically unsustainable low-density sprawl. Proponents of demolition have...
Intimidation Tactics Fail to Deter Rolling Mill Residents

Editor's Note: The AppIndie was asked to post this letter on behalf of members of the Save Our Homes Group. If you take a drive through the Rolling Mill/Maryland Ave destruction area, you may notice the bright beautiful colors that are painted on the streets. Some are white, some are blue, some are bright yellow, and some are bright green. In the City of Cumberland’s latest attempt to intimidate the “holdouts” to the destruction project, the Mayor and City Council in conjunction with the Cumberland Economic Development Corporation have ordered City Employees to dig up the streets and re...
What's Happening in Downtown Cumberland- Valentine's Day Specials

What’s Happening in Downtown Cumberland Valentine’s Day – Sunday, February 14 Free Parking on Surface Lots – Saturdays, Sundays and Daily after 5 PM Love the Local – Shop, Dine & Support Local Businesses Like us on Facebook – Visit Cumberland Maryland      It’s the annual Sweetheart Luncheon and Auction at the First Presbyterian Church. The church is at 11 Washington St. The lunch and then auction of amazing desserts and great fun will start after service at noon, February 14th this Valentine's Day. The lunch tickets are 5.0...
What's Happening in Downtown Cumberland- Valentine's Day Specials

What’s Happening in Downtown Cumberland Valentine’s Day – Sunday, February 14 Free Parking on Surface Lots – Saturdays, Sundays and Daily after 5 PM Love the Local – Shop, Dine & Support Local Businesses Like us on Facebook – Visit Cumberland Maryland      It’s the annual Sweetheart Luncheon and Auction at the First Presbyterian Church. The church is at 11 Washington St. The lunch and then auction of amazing desserts and great fun will start after service at noon, February 14th this Valentine's Day. The lunch tickets are 5.0...
FSU's Master's in Special Education Recognized Among Top 50 Best Value Residential Programs

TopMastersInEducation.com, an online independent guide to earning a master’s in education degree, recently ranked Frostburg State University number 28 of the 50 top schools that offer residential master’s in special education degree programs in the United States for the 2015-2016 academic year. Schools and programs were evaluated based on publicly available information about accreditation, academic quality, student satisfaction, reputation in the field and cost. TopMastersInEducation.com Best Value rankings were designed to help prospective students make a smart choice about where to in...
1 2 3 4 5
 
 
 
 
Intimidation Tactics Fail to Deter Rolling Mill Residents PDF Print E-mail
Written by Save Our Homes Group   
Wednesday, 10 February 2016 15:45

Editor's Note: The AppIndie was asked to post this letter on behalf of members of the Save Our Homes Group.

If you take a drive through the Rolling Mill/Maryland Ave destruction area, you may notice the bright beautiful colors that are painted on the streets. Some are white, some are blue, some are bright yellow, and some are bright green. In the City of Cumberland’s latest attempt to intimidate the “holdouts” to the destruction project, the Mayor and City Council in conjunction with the Cumberland Economic Development Corporation have ordered City Employees to dig up the streets and remove all underground water meters on the properties that have been purchased for or by the City thus far.

Ironically, after the nearly 2-foot snowstorm, not one City employee was instructed to remove one flake of snow from any of the affected properties. However, in the Cumberland Times News dated from Saturday after the snowfall, the City had the unmitigated gall to ask homeowners to remove all remaining snow from their sidewalks. (A Rolling Mill resident eventually took on the task himself). That’s some news, isn’t it?

A bit of advice to the Mayor and Council and members of the CEDC. We, the citizens who are in your destruction plan are 100% NOT intimidated by your arrogant tactics.

The State of Florida has done much to stop the horrific impacts of eminent domain on its citizens. Who knows, maybe Maryland may eventually feel the same way.

Always Paying Attention,

The Save Our Homes Group

Last Updated on Wednesday, 10 February 2016 15:45
 
 
 
Tavern at 508 Park Street- Historic Properties of Rolling Mill PDF Print E-mail
Written by Chris Stevens   
Friday, 12 February 2016 08:26

Tavern at 508 Park Street

Editor's Note: This is the second in our series highlighting some of the historic properties of the Rolling Mill neighborhood. The first focused on Kingsley Methodist Church.

 

Discover Historic Rolling Mill: Malamphy’s Saloon (508 Park Street) and The Malamphy Bottling Works 218 Williams Street

The City of Cumberland and the Cumberland Economic Development Corporation, an instrumentality of City government, plan to demolish portions of the historic Rolling Mill neighborhood to build incompatible and economically unsustainable low-density sprawl. Proponents of demolition have suggested that the buildings are not historic; so in an effort to better understand what may be lost, we’ll be sharing short stories about many of these threatened properties.

 

The historic Malamphy’s Saloon and Malamphy Bottling Works buildings sit at the intersection of Park and Williams Streets, opposite the former Queen City Park. The 2-story brick structure (506-508 Park Street) with shingled gable dates from at least 1887. Simplified brackets and an elliptical gable window still accent the five bays wide and five bays deep building. The northern half of the building (506 Park) was the residence of Michael J. Malamphy (1862-1934) and his wife Wilhelmina. The southern half of the structure (508 Park) housed the saloon and still retains its original first floor commercial bracketed cornice above the saloon door. During the 1920s, the upper floors of the saloon also served as a boarding house. This building along with the Kingsley Methodist Church around the corner on Williams Street are two of the earliest structures constructed in this portion of the Rolling Mill neighborhood and are reminders of the Cumberland’s grand railroad era of the late-19th and early-20th centuries.

 

Michael J. Malamphy also owned the buildings immediately behind his Park Street residence and saloon at 216-222 Williams Street.  Here he operated  the Malamphy Bottling Works beginning around 1890. One of the buildings contained an ice house and another contained the electric bottling and capping equipment.  In 1922, there were five bottlers of soft drinks in Cumberland, including L. T. Carpenter and Son, the Coca Cola Bottling Company, the Malamphy Bottling Works, the Whistle Bottling Company and Ver-Vac Bottling Company. Malamphy ran the bottling works until his death in 1934. Around 1950, the buildings 216-222 Williams Street were replaced with a more modern bottling works factory, built of brick, concrete and steel beams. A bottling works company continued to operate from this location until the 1970s. Today the bottling works building houses Miller’s Ironhouse Gym. Meanwhile, Malamphy Bottling Works bottles may be found for sale in local antique shops.

 

FUTURE PLANS

Unfortunately, the demolition plans for this neighborhood appear to extend to this historic saloon and bottling works as well. The plans call for new construction and surface parking in its place.

 

To read more about the history of this saloon and bottling works and other historic Rolling Mill buildings, please see the Rolling Mill/Maryland Avenue Inventory Form for State Historic Sites Survey prepared by the Maryland Historical Trust, our state historic preservation office: http://msa.maryland.gov/megafile/msa/stagsere/se1/se5/000001/000001/000530/pdf/msa_se5_530.pdf


Last Updated on Friday, 12 February 2016 12:57
 
Page 1 of 300
 
Webappindie.org

What's Happening?